Obamacare does not work. From the moment Obamacare was rammed through a Democrat-controlled Congress without a single Republican vote, to its enactment and rollout, the president’s healthcare policy has proven to be damaging to individuals, families, and small businesses in every part of the country.
As many constituents have expressed to me, Americans simply need a healthcare system that offers them more choices and lower costs. That’s why I have remained committed to sending legislation that repeals Obamacare to the president’s desk.
Additionally, given that Pennsylvania ranks among the highest in the nation in drug overdose deaths, I have worked to help pass legislation aimed at addressing the opioid crisis. These bills will combat the addiction problem that is damaging families and individuals in our region by increasing funding for treatment, reauthorizing substance abuse programs, and providing better access to naloxone, an opioid overdose reversal drug.
Furthermore, given that millions of Americans struggle with mental illness, I have worked to improve the support services and access to treatment for these individuals. Legislation like the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act will increase treatment options for those struggling with mental illness. This legislation will also make it easier for families to get their loved ones the treatment they need.
- Obamacare must be repealed.
- I believe reform of our healthcare system must ensure that access to available high-quality, affordable health care should be the standard for every American.
- Any health reform must allow for direct patient choice of doctors, care, and insurance options and preserve existing patient/doctor relationships. Patients and consumers should have their choice of care, therapies, insurers, and providers. No government policy or office should dictate how patients receive health care.
- Healthcare reform cannot burden or favor one sector of the population or one sector of the economy over another. Over-taxation and unfunded government mandates will not ensure quality care or coverage.
- Any reform of our healthcare system by government should not stifle or weaken research and development for medical products and therapies. Competition and innovation will maintain America's leadership in pioneering treatments and cures, as well as keep costs down.
- Before undertaking massive reform, we must address cost control in care, entitlement programs, and ensure that all Americans have access to the best quality care available. I support a health care system that allows individuals the opportunity to actively participate in decisions that affect their family's care and reduce the government's role in private care.
Filtered by Health Care
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Congressman Bill Shuster (R-Hollidaysburg) issued the following statement on President Trump’s ...
WASHINGTON, DC – The House passed S. Con. Res. 3 with Congressman Bill Shuster’s support on Friday. This pro...
WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman Bill Shuster (R-Hollidaysburg) helped pass the 21st Century Cures Act on Wednesday. T...